I have been exposed to many languages and technologies over the course of my 15+ year career. My primary focus has always been on the front-end, working solely on HTML and CSS; however I also work in mid- and back-end technical stacks and love it.
- Front-End: HTML, CSS, SCSS, Bootstrap, Bourbon Neat, Twig, Handlebars, SVG
- Languages: PHP, Gulp, JSP, JSTL
- CMS: WordPress, Drupal, Magento, WooCommerce
My freelance and portfolio site contains a number of examples of my website work, as well as variety of tools, plugins, presentation slides, and development articles that I have written.
- Building custom Gutenberg blocks and WordPress plugins for specialized functionality using React, JSX, and PHP.
- Converted the university’s Drupal themes into WordPress themes, using HTML, SCSS, and Twig.
- Led the university’s accessibility development efforts during an OCR review in 2017.
That Dev Girl
Founder & Lead Developer October 2015 – present
- Working with both large and small businesses to build website and application UIs, specializing in creating dynamic and responsive themes and functionality for WordPress and Drupal.
Conference Speaking and Teaching
- Customizing Gutenberg: Lessons Learned at Georgetown at WPCampus Online (January 2019)
- Accessible Development For All! at edUi (September 2017)
- Accessible Development For All! at ConvergeSE (June 2017)
- Accessible Development For All! at NoVA CodeCamp (April 2017)
- Front-End Web Development 10-week class at General Assembly (March 2016 – June 2016)
- Front-End Web Development 10-week class at General Assembly (December 2015 – March 2016)
Previous Professional Experience
Atlantic Media Strategies
Lead Web Developer January 2015 – October 2015
- Developed responsive front-end solutions for client projects, with a focus on best practices in WordPress.
- Led and grew the web development team by establishing project workflows.
- Created a development resource library containing base themes and reusable custom libraries and WP plugins.
- The Chicago Community Trust: Lead developer on a project to develop a new responsive website in WordPress. The site released in May 2015 and won the 2015 OMMA award for website excellence.
Senior User Experience Developer December 2009 – December 2014
- Worked collaboratively with both the creative and back-end development teams to develop user-focused client sites that meet project requirements and modern e-commerce standards
- Macys: I re-platformed the UI of their product management application as a Backbone app, with Marionette, Require, Jasmine, and a custom light-weight CSS grid framework. I also worked with a team to launch a company-wide core UI platform using Backbone and jQuery UI.
- Stella & Dot: I localized their online shop for the European market and redesigned a significant part of the site’s stylist order creating workflow. Development work was done in Magento, using CSS, jQuery, and Prototype.
- Northern California AAA: I re-platformed their website using Drupal and developed front-end functionality for dynamic forms, banner carousels, and tabbed content using CSS & jQuery.
Cambridge Interactive Development Corp.
Web Content Engineering Manager & Translation Manager June 2004 – July 2009
- Directly managed front-end web content engineers. Our department maintained the corporate website, marketing websites, and secure web application UIs for 8 gaming platforms.
- Developed new features and promotions for marketing websites and secure applications for 8 gaming platforms.
- Developed and launched a marketing website for a new gaming platform, Everest Casino.
- Led web content development for key online promotions and new locale-specific online payment methods.
- Created the company’s localization department. Set standards used by this department for all copy localization.
- Managed the translation process for all website and software copy in over 15 written languages. Directly managed product translators in 3 emerging markets.
Degrees, Certifications, and Awards
Georgetown University President’s Excellence Award Winner, 2017
Team award for web accessibility work
Magento Front End Developer Certification, 2013
Master of Fine Arts, 2003
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY
Major: Electronic Arts
Bachelor of Science, 2000
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY
Dual Major: Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication & Computer Science
Webmaster for the American Druze Foundation, 2019 - present
I maintain the American Druze Foundation website by regularly updating the site design and content. I am also adding e-commerce functionality to facilitate online donations and product sales.
Webmaster for One Voice, 2014 – present
I maintain and support new functionality for the One Voice website. In early 2014, I developed their online store using WooCommerce and developed a custom plugin (WC Tiered Shipping) to support the store’s custom shipping rates.
Member of the Magento Certification Advisory Board, 2013 – 2015
I worked with the Magento exam team to write and review their new front-end developer certification exam.
Packt Publishing Editor, 2013 - 2014
I was a technical content editor for the jQuery 2.0 Development Cookbook, which was published in February 2014.